Wednesday, April 05, 2006

My Hovercraft is Full of Eels

It is said that music is the universal language. Admittedly, it can take some rehearsing for us onstage to all be in the same universe. And orchestral musicians being the relentless animals that we are, small language-snafus of foreign-born conductors can provide some eagerly anticipated material. Recently:

“Tromboni, put yourselves out of the living room!”

“okay, clari-NYETS, (as opposed to clari-DAs?), thees part not about the springtime for the gots. Ees about the speereets. Speereets!! No GOTS. Now, rehearsal 45. GO!!!”

Though that particular speech prompted a “But Maestro, I don’t understand what WORD you are saying” from the back of the orchestra, translation is mostly near-spontaneous. Throw in accompanying hand gestures and relevant musical material, and we’re good to go. GO!

Often conductors for whom English is not a first language will seize upon a phrase and use it over and over. Sometimes, it’s just a word. (GO!) If you know these “catch words” you can often tell which orchestra under which conductor may have last written in the rental music part that is now on your stand. Once I got a part for a piece I know I had never performed before that had the word “smooooz” written at the juncture of every cadence. My educated guess: the last orchestra to play that piece worked with Christoph Eschenbach. I myself have written that very word over various Mahler parts (though I spell it with only 3 “o”s) throughout his tenure here. I bet that at least 50% of the musicians of the Houston Symphony can’t even say the word correctly in a normal conversation.

Sometimes it’s just one or two letters that make all the difference. As in “disturbulence.” Used in a sentence, “the disturbulence of the contrabassoon must be all-encompassing,” it actually becomes more than the sum of both the words it once was. It takes on a life and meaning of its own. Especially when written 97 times in the parts and sent on a trip around the world.

Me, I don’t even pretend to be the great communicator. I’m a first-generation American of Greek-Chinese descent, who worked for a time in Germany but had French as my first foreign language. My Chinese is limited to useful phrases like “I’m sleepy,” “Do you have any roast pork?“ and “Oh my gosh, she’s not wearing any underwear!” As for Greek, I can read it but have very little idea what I am saying, sailor-worthy curses aside. Of course, a little knowledge is dangerous. On one trip to Greece to visit relatives, I purposely got an old boyfriend to tell a (female) friend of my dad’s that she had a big gluteus maximus (he thought he was telling her she had a nice dress). I also got him to walk into a bakery and politely say “I would like to have a little turd, please.” Now there was a case where both adding a syllable and one’s intestine do the same job-turning a “cookie” into a “turd.” Can’t say that often, can ya? But karma has a way of catching up: this summer, on a bike trip in France, I unintentionally treated my hosts to this little gem after being complimented on my (lack of) an accent in French:

“My French pronunciation may be good because I learned it as a child, but since I’ve never gotten dressed in France, I don’t know much grammar.”

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must say, that has got to be the most interesting story yet. What happens when the conductor instructs you to do something in jibberish and says "GO!" and the symphony doesn't do it.. say two or three times. When do you all finnally catch on to what the poor man was trying to say? Does that happen often with Foreign Conductors whose english is not so good?

Rita said...

Yes, usually the conductor's descriptive gestures will get bigger and bigger, he will try absolutely all the languages he knows, untill someone in the orchestra will catch it and yell the correct answer- yesterday it was me- from "flee" to "flit" to "Fledermaus" to "BAT!!" Like some crazy game of charades. Where are you a violist? In Houston?

Anonymous said...

Charades?! I love Charades! Haha. Yes, I am a violist in Houston. In fact, I am going to the Saterday performance of Tchaik Violin Concerto and Prokofiev 3. Row E, seat 4 and 5 from the left (your right). I actually am in Kingwood. Just to clarify, but it is essentially a part of Houston.

Rita said...

well, I'll look for you- wave!! Here's something to listen for- the "speereet" part is in the Prokoviev, 3rd movement. Think seance for kitties and you'll get which part it is.

Anonymous said...

A seance of kitties? I will definately pay attention for that. I am very curious now! I will be sure to wave. I will probably be wearing my favorite blue shirt. I look forward to the concert!

Anonymous said...

The guest conductor, Lazarev, was so fun to watch. He made me smile. I definately think he should come back. And the "seance of kitties" was exactly as I imagined it would be. As soon as the first violins started with their glisses I laughed to myself. It really was exactly like kittens. Now both Tchaikovskys were great. Suprisingly, as famous as it is, that was the first time I had ever heard the Romeo and Juliet. And the concerto was done very well. Josefowicz broke six hairs on her bow; I counted. It was a very fun concert.

Rita said...

Glad you all liked it! I must admit that the piece grew on me over the course of the week...like a well placed fungus...also, Lazarev gave me heaps of topics for this blog, so all in all a very productive weekend. What a character!

Anonymous said...

I know, I was talking with my teacher about the 'GO!' thing. Actually.. last Sunday at HYS (Houston Youth Symphony), we had a conductor whose mastery over the english language was not so good. He would sing and move his arms to try and get accross what he wanted us to do. But he was from Canada or something, I can't remember, so his english/french wasn't our english. I need to find a recording of that Prokofiev 3. Maybe I will do that now!