Friday, March 02, 2007

Idol, part 1

Are you an American Idol junkie? I have days when I can watch it and days when I can't. Sometimes it is just a little TOO painful. Like the prelims, when the show's producers decide that bad talent makes for good TV. Especially painful this season were those two guys from Seattle. (Speaking of painful, what happened to that Hung guy? ) Is it just plain old human nature rearing its ugly head when the most popular entertainment is showcasing the misfortunate/pathetically untalented/embarassing/misfits of society? Ah, for the good old days of gladiators and court jesters. Eh? Lion's den anyone?

I just found out about a new "Idol"-like show that started on Youtube but is now going to be aired on Comcast channels like O!xygen across the country. It is called "America's Hot Musician." Like American Idol, but for instrumentalists. I heard that a colleaugue from the National Symphony in D.C. has just signed on as the third judge. Thank God for that-after viewing just the first episode (with mounting horror) on Youtube, I came to at least two conclusions: 1) with only two judges, the voting process is severely flawed; and 2)sounding like Randy Jackson does not make you a Randy Jackson. The producer/judge/Randy Jackson counterpart, Gregory Charles Royal on the show SEEMS to have decent credentials but lost all credibility with me when he passed on to the next round a tone-deaf guitarist with the words "you just need to be relaxed, I want you to come back." My cat could tune the guitar better than that guy. And the first season Judge no.2, a mid-west high school music teacher(!?!?!?!), former Miss Minnesota Kari Heisler, is certainly no Paula Abdul, though at least she voted no on the tone deaf guy (it only takes one vote to get passed to the next round-see above conclusions). But it doesn't matter, because if you come on time, are breathing and can sit upright for at least 30 seconds on this show, you get passed on by Charles "I got my limits, I got my limits" Royal who must be desperate, really, really really really desperate for material.

Simon Cowell, where are you?

The winners get a recording contract- which in this day of Garage Band and cheap digital home studios, doesn't seem like such a prize. But hey, everyone's gotta have their Warhol 15 minutes, and given the wealth of reality programming, I mean EVERYONE.

Tune in next week for a segment of real competition in the Classical music world, where the prize is a job in a major symphony orchestra. No- not some kind of nerdy "Apprentice," but a real account of the audition to win the latest violin opening at the Houston Symphony, written by the winner.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

those "hot" musicians arent hot. or talented. wow.

i want to take up drum set and audition for this.

i think there needs to be "america's next hot violist"

oh wait! there is a violist on here. oh good lord. glissandos and all.

there are multiple violists.

what is up with this crappy synthesizer?


the loop thing is cool.

oh well. i should probably go practice.

Anonymous said...

I know what you are talking about! I have seen that, my cello friend sent it to me. I saw the guitarist guy. Didn't he try to sing to? Or no? I cannot remember; I couldn't watch it, it literally hurt. But at any rate, they need to have American Musician. Where Classical Musicians compete in all forms, Solo, Solo with piano, Quartet, Quintet, Octet (Mendelssohn) or even Nonet (Martinu). That would be something I would watch.

Oh, and thanks once again for the Cadenza, I really like it.

JS

Rita said...

seriously. My cat could play the piano on that show. Are there requirements for it to be a human? Or have opposable thumbs??

Anonymous said...

it doesnt say "america's hot human musician".

i think your cat should try out for it.

Anonymous said...

Well, I thought i would post a one-time comment about the show. I ask you guys to be patient with the show and the National version to come out in July 07. I totally understand your comments and believe me, I understand and hear the musical short comings of many of the kids you heard on YouTube..Just so you know, ten of the 30 or so kids on the YouTube version will come to the national show's second round. We gave the kids a chance to go to the second round in the YouTube version as a confidence booster, i.e., a second "crack" at the apple which was taped later that day (second round). No harm in this particular circumstance being positive and yes, rewarding them for at least showing up by giving them a second chance on the then small show-which is more than I can say for a few naysayers who did not have the guts to even show up...That said, I hope you all will enjoy the more stringent national show and please check out our website for new judge additions happening now--
Peace,
GCR

Rita said...

Well, if you really are Gregory Charles Royal, I appreciate your comment as well as your trying to keep track of all your publicity (good luck!) and wish the show all the best. FYI readers, a second season judge is going to be "one of us," a violinist in he National Symphony. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. Everyone else, check out the next blog for the piano playing cat!!!