I've been quite busy since the last entry, my faithful bloggie lurkers, playing upon my little viola here, on the East Coast, and south of the border. In the process I've gotten some perspective on how differently things work around the world:
In case you didn't know, in the U.S. orchestras are run by boards and committees comprised of philanthropic volunteers that meet and vote to hire the executive staff, management and even conductor, who then are responsible for hiring other staff and musicians. Except for small governmental educational and community grants for community projects, all of the money must be raised and comes from donations from individuals, foundations, and corporations. Ticket sales only make up about 30% of the income. But south of the border (and almost everywhere but in the USA) orchestras are completely government-supported. The money comes from the government, and the staff and management are government employees and answer to the Ministry of Culture. Pros: Ticket prices in Mexico are quite low and as a result, the act of going to a classical concert is commonplace. The audiences are diverse in age and financial status. Classical music is accessible to everyone; there is no stigma of elitism to intimidate people from coming to cultural events, and more people are educated about it. Cons: Since the government has the final say on matters of salary and artistic production, things move at the lightning speed of corrupt bureaucracy. And when musicians want to take any action it often becomes quite politically drastic. I heard accounts of hunger strikes by conductors trying to hang on to their positions. Even better, apparently there was a certain section of the orchestra that at one point decided to try and kidnap that week's guest conductor by sending him a note to his hotel saying that the rehearsal location had been changed, and a "taxi" (driven presumably by the kidnapper's accomplices) would come to pick him up to take him to the new location (luckily, the plot was foiled).
Here in the U.S., such shenanigans would never fly, though that doesn't stop us from occasionally fantasizing. I DID hear a great story from a friend of mine who happens to have just joined our Board of Directors (a.k.a. the philanthropic volunteers). She loves Mahler's Second Symphony so much that she actually sneaked into the choir to sing the performance (this was a University concert, not a professional symphonic one). She dressed like the chorus members and shared a seat with her friend/accomplice on the chorus risers. I admire her chutzpah, but I don't recommend trying this at your Houston Symphony concerts!! Our tough stagehands will manhandle you off stage. One of them used to be in the circus, you know.
Speaking of Mahler 2, was anyone else stymied at the very long pause between movements 2 and 3 of our Mahler performance earlier this month? Traditionally this is when the choir comes on stage. Since they don't sing until the end of the last movement, it is kinder than having them wait over an hour before uttering a note. But choirs are not known for their hustle. It must be something about the robes, and the processional nature of a large group of singers navigating risers and safety rails. They were nothing if not..STATELY. It made me wonder-just how long does it take to install a choir anyway? I bet in Mexico they would've moved a little faster-Safety rails? we don't need no steenkin' safety rails!
Tonight through this weekend we are performing our last subcription concert of the season. It is a Spanish-flavored program -two pieces of De Falla, Rimsky-Korsakov's Capriccio Espagnol, and featuring Rodrigo's Guitar Concerto, performed by Elliot Fisk. The Chronicle featured a piece on him yesterday that said he was "the last student of famed classical guitarist Andres Segovia to achieve an international career." Which begs the question- what about Charo (whose real name is María del Rosario Pilar Martínez Molina Baeza Rasten)? She "cuchi-cuchi'd" her way across the deck of the Love Boat all throughout the 1970's. THEY were cruising international waters. She also studied with Segovia. I'd call that an "international career."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Hi Rita,
Glad your back. I thought having a Spanish flavored program was a great idea for the last concert of the season. Seeing as how packed Jones Hall was for Sunday’s performance I would say others felt the same way. Mr. Fisk’s performance was a marvel and I am sure Maestro Segovia was smiling during the performance. But the main reason I wanted to go was to hear a Russians version of Spanish music. I have to say Rimsky-Korsakov's Capriccio Espanol is my all time favorite orchestral works. It’s the brilliance of the orchestration that sets my soul on fire. And I can’t think of anything that has more “getty-up” in it than Capriccio Espanol. (Sorry, I know getty-up is not a musical term, but it best describes what I mean. I tried to find a comparable musical term but the Harvard Dictionary of Music didn’t have getty-up listed anywhere. So I’m just stuck with this for now.)
Just so you know, the HSO performance thoroughly satisfied all the expectations I had for the performance.
One more thing if you don’t mind.
I don’t know how you do it; starting with a choir question you mixed in your travel agenda, international orchestral politics; a friends exploits to participate in a Mahler 2 concert; the circus background of a stagehand; choir entrances; a preview of last weekends concert and cuchi-cuchi. And you managed to tie this all together making it a very insightful, informative and entertaining read. Great blog!
Enjoy your summer Miss Rita
Jim
Well Miss Rita, I am willing to bet that at no point during his life did Dvorak ever imagine at a future performance of his Quartet No. 12 in F Major for Stings, Op. 96 “American” the audience would be chased out of the theater. But then, they didn’t have electronic fire alarms at that time either.
I enjoyed the "As American as..." performance tonight at the TMF. (I hope you don’t mind me posting this here like this.)
Jim
Oh that's too bad...no one has commented on your post.
Watch this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-yTDJp10Dk
...because it's cool
Interesting post, Rita! I'm Sam, a fan of the Houston Symphony Orchestra. (I'm 16.) I had no idea that orchestras are government-supported in Mexico and other countries. I almost like the idea of philanthropists and individual donors etc. better than government funding. What do you think about it?
Oh - and were you there for the Target Symphony Summer Nights program on the 28th? I think Chloe Trevor played the Tchaikovsky violin concerto rilliantly! She got a standing ovation just after the first movement...:| I also was very very impressed with Resphigi's Pines of the Appian Way.
Sam
Thanks for all your comments everyone, for some reason I am just getting them now, in November 2008. Weird blog-comment time warp? Blogmuda Island? It takes away a bit from the spontaneity of blogging to have to answer people 3-4 months later!
To briefly answer- Jim, thanks for being a loyal reader and audience member! Glad the fire drill didn't spoil the moment for you and hope you enjoyed the pie.
Sam, thanks for commenting! hopefully it won't take so long next time for me to get the comments. In answer to your question, I think there are pros and cons to both types of funding. I will say that in countries that have gvmt-funded orchestras I find that the audiences are quite a bit more diverse than here in the US. People weren't afraid to bring children of all ages, and it seemed like classical music was less "scary" than it is perceived here. We need people like you to help us change that! Music is music, and always tries to communicate human conditions no matter what the style, there is always the same kind of message.
Post a Comment