Wednesday, March 05, 2008

My pal Louie

Everyone knows a guy like my pal Louie. Intensely awkward, prone to say the wrong thing in delicate social situations, always falling for the wrong or unavailable girl...my pal Louie was one of those guys. A kind person would call him stocky, but no matter what, his clothes never fit right. More often than not you'd see him striding down the street with shirt misbuttoned, clothes not matching, hair untamed, muttering to himself. He existed in his own very rich inner world, with the frequent consequence of passionate outbursts that had no relation to the situation or topic at hand. Louie was slightly paranoid and when he was younger, prone to delusions of grandeur. Having had a difficult relationship with his alcoholic father (a dour, frustrated man who worked in a thankless government position) and highly protective of and devoted to his mother, at one point he became convinced that he was not his father's son; according to Louie, his mother must have conceived him with a better-bred, more intelligent man.

If Necessity is the mother of invention, then Hardship is the father of inspiration. Like many a genius -for make no mistake, Louie was a genius- his early life was shaped by tragedy and hardship. When he was 16 his mother died, followed shortly by his baby sister. Louie became the de facto head of the family, responsible for the welfare of his father and brothers. Having already exceeded his father's skills, he petitioned and got permission from his father's bosses to receive half of his father's salary. This would ensure that Louie would have the money to use in support of his family, rather than drunk away on a bar stool. The employer agreed to this on the one condition that his father retire immediately and perhaps even leave town; however, Louie never had the heart to rob his father of all dignity in this way, so he never went through with the petition.

So you see, for all his lack of social skills, paranoid fantasies and general irascibility, Louie had an awful lot of heart. And after the death of his burdensome father, Louie's early adulthood was marked by productivity and success. Though he tried to alienate them with his gruff manner and blunt honesty, he managed to flourish with the help and intervention of his friends, who discreetly did things like replace his old clothes with new, find him places to live and work undisturbed, take him on holidays in the country. All for the simple fact that when they were around him, they couldn't help but feel that they were in the presence of something like a higher genius, an incredible force that represented perhaps the best humanity could ever dare to offer.

Any psychologist will tell you that people who have experienced loss and responsibility such as Louie had in his teens, become wary of good fortune. They may feel like they don't deserve it; they may feel like nothing good can ever happen to them. It is like a superstition; and Louie remarked about it to one of his friends at the time: "Sometimes I feel that all this undeserved fame will drive me crazy; for once, good luck is seeking ME and because of that I dread a fresh disaster." Self-fulfilling prophecy or not, the worst tragedy was still to come. Louie, the genius musician, for whom the ability to hear, analyze and create sounds was of paramount importance, was slowly going deaf. "For almost two years," he wrote to a doctor friend, "I have ceased to attend any social functions, just because I find it impossible to say to people, 'I am deaf.' If I had any other profession I might be able to cope with this sickness, but in my profession it is a terrible handicap. And if my enemies, of whom I have a fair number, were to hear about it, what would they say?"

Poor Louie! Cut off from everything precious to him! Forced into seclusion to be even more misunderstood than he already was, just when life was becoming less of a hardship. This stunning development sent him into the most violent mood swings, and at age 28, he wrote a goodbye letter to his brothers: "..men who think I am malevolent, stubborn, or misanthropic, how greatly you wrong me... from childhood on, my heart and soul have been full of the tender feeling of goodwill, and I was inclined to accomplish great things...though born with a fiery, active temperament, susceptible to the diversions of society, I was soon compelled to withdraw myself...I must live alone, like one banished...if I approach near to people a hot terror seizes me, and I fear being exposed-that my condition might be noticed....driven to despair....I would have ended my life..it was only my ART that held me back."

I spent one crazy night in Vienna years ago, armed with a Sony Walkman (*gasp*, pre iPod!) full of his music. As I played it, I wandered to each place where Louie had written that particular piece. Though I could never know if what I heard through the headphones was what he heard in his own head, I wanted to see what he saw with his eyes, smelled the old cobblestone, brick, and musty corridors, touched the surfaces..I wanted to try to recreate his environment of creation, of all the senses, save one, cruelly left to perhaps the greatest musical mind of all time.

Our Louie.

for another Beethoven immersion experience, please attend our daylong Beethoven festival in Jones Hall this Saturday, March 8, from 10 am- 11 pm. Symphonies, quartets, trios, sonatas, dramatic works, a film and lectures will be presented, along with the presence of actual Louie DNA, a lock of the master's hair (and the analysis of that, boys and girls, we will save for another blog).

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great story telling Miss Rita, an excellent example of looking at the glass as half full - that is also how I look at this particular glass. I am sure Louie is truly a pal of yours on some level or other. After reading this I am looking forward to spending the whole day at Jones Hall for The Beethoven Experience more than ever. “Break a leg” on the Rasumovsky Quartet. (I’m sure you know that’s theatre talk for good luck but I just wanted to make sure.)

A fan of your blog,
Jim

John said...

Hi Rita,

You had me for a second-- until you mentioned something about him taking over the family at 16. Anyway, I spent all day at Jones Hall on Saturday... probably one of the most enjoyable days of my life! ;) I'm embarrassed to say I wasn't too familiar with op. 59-- I've heard it just a few times-- but you did a great job! Looked incredibly difficult! And the slow movement was very, very beautiful.

The last concert was one of the best I've been too I think. Choral Fantasy was utterly thrilling! I've known the second choral piece you played (can't remember the title) for a few years now, but it never seemed so sad and beautiful as it was Saturday night.

And the Egmont was super as well-- it seemed like the players were actually enjoying performing it. It's always nice to see you people into it up there! Didn't you like the two songs for soprano???

-john

Anonymous said...

I have to say, the first paragraph, with the exception of the drunken father and strange relations with his father, reminds me of myself. I have accident prone--and I read the whole article quite quickly, but I am sure the other stuff applies too. Haha. But what can I say, I am a violist; it isn't really that surprising.

Ahh. I regret not being able to attend the Rasumovsky recital! I will have to get over it though. I have heard you play Borodin, Mozart, Schubert, Mahler (for 13 individuals, that was cool), and more. Oh well, just play some stuff on the TMF faculty recitals this year! That should compensate.

So as much as I would love to just write stuff on here, I better get working on that Bach assignment right? Haha. It's not going to neatly split itself up for me--digital printups are looking better and better, no matter how slow the learning curve is. Haha.

JS.

Rita said...

That Violist, you will indeed be a tragic figure unless you complete your assignment. Go ahead and try to download the finale note reader on line- but the learning curve is slow!

John, thanks for your review!! Its about the only one in print- since the Chronicle couldn't be bothered to send anyone to cover any of the music on that day! WHAT a shame.

Anonymous said...

Well the Chronicle is more or less unreliable. Mostly more in this case. I don't trust any sources of news; it is all biased and opinionated. Maybe I am just too paranoid... Hm.

Anonymous said...

oh, oh. the evil assignment.
i should probably start on mine..


but the quartet was extremely good. the group articulately connected all of the musical phrasings. also, the ideas, though extremely intricate, were lucid enough for me to clearly understand them.

to say the least, i loved the performance.

Anonymous said...

I don't think it is evil! Well.. it is a pain to pretend to be Bach's copyist. But the actual two part voicing is totally invaluable in learning a possible phrasing. I like it, just not the whole copyist business. Haha.

Oh, I wish I could have gone to the performance! Everyone has said such good things about that day.

Rita said...

awww, that's a good chick. Now stop wasting time on this blog and do your assignment!

(The evil assignment is this: take a movement of a solo suite from Bach, and arrange it for 2 instruments -in this case, violas- to better see how Bach was able to weave counterpoint and melody in a single voice. When a performer is able to show this in a performance, it actually makes the technical aspects easier, and the musical concepts much clearer to the audience. I am eager to see how my two violists do. Any other readers who can play Bach should try it as well!)

John said...

I didn't realize you taught viola Rita!

I've got an unrelated question. I called the symphony the other day to ask a question about the upcoming Saint-Saens organ symphony.The customer service rep said that wind instruments would be used in place of the organ, as there is no organ in Jones Hall. Is that true? In that case I might spend the extra money and see the Beethoven seventh even tho it's not a wavelength concert. (Didn't you say the seventh was your fav?)