Friday, February 20, 2009

Mad Finns and Wolves

I'm just fresh off the stage at Jones Hall, where this weekend's repertoire is Ravel's La Valse, Stravinsky's A Fairy's Kiss, and Brahms Piano Concerto. Conductor, Hannu Lintu; soloist, Hélène Grimaud . That is not what was SUPPOSED to be on the program, nor is the conductor the one that was SUPPOSED to be leading us this weekend.

By the end of May 2009, the 2008-09 Houston Symphony season may be looked at as the "oops-deked ya!" season. It started with Ike's forced two week cancellations, went on to fevered Greeks with fiendish determination, continued with unrequited reconciliations (our former music director Andre Previn cancelling his April appearance), and this week, because of a small matter of childbirth, guest conductor Xian Zhang would not be conducting. Luckily, and I mean EXTREMELY luckily for us, a favorite stick-beater from last season, Hannu Lintu, was available. Of course, with last minute artist substitutions, it is not unusual that repertoire would also change, because who has every last piece in the world ready to conduct at his/her fingertips? More unusual was the appointed soloist changing from Beethoven to Brahms a week before the concert, but hey, if you raise wolves you gotta be somewhat adaptable, no?

At the first rehearsal, the mad Finn (come on, click on the hyperlink, you know you want to), who is the repository of fiendish smiles, gave us one and said "Let's hurry up and rehearse the program before anything else gets changed." Ironically, (or not so much) the next day when the pianist was supposed to show up to her rehearsal we were informed that her plane from South America was delayed and we would have a piano stunt-double play the part of Hélène until her plane landed. When she finally did arrive for the last 45 minutes of rehearsal, she played as if we had rehearsed all week, she is another one with some mad Skillz, both with wolves and piano.

But this is all really a lot of unnecessary though colorful background for the REAL story, which is the mad Finn. He is generating a lot of buzz backstage, and the fact that backstage is buzzing at all is amazing because us old jaded orchestra players usually flee the backstage at the first opportunity...no chance to buzz.
***bzzz***
"He looks like Mick Jagger" bzzz bzzz
"with Jimmy Stewart's accent" "from the eyebrows up he could be Jim Carrey as the Grinch" bzz bzzz bzzzz

Lintu/Carrey/Jagger/Stewart. I told a colleague today how much I was enjoying the rehearsals. His reply: "Really? I can't follow him. But what a musician."

Which led me to study him harder during the concert. Why could some of us follow him and other colleagues couldn't? I started to wonder if we all looked at different body parts for a clue as to the tempo. Yes, if you looked at the end of the stick (baton), it was actually impossible. By the end of the Stravinsky, I came to the conclusion that I NEVER look at the end of the stick. I believe I was watching the twitching of the right shoulder...or maybe it was the left elbow...both knees...the lower lip? Maybe it was the general kinetics of his motion that gave me the hints I needed to musical direction...I was watching for MUSIC, not for BEAT. And there may be the answer. Leonard Bernstein's beat was also impossible to follow, but he gave the direction in other ways, rocking on the balls of his feet, twitching his torso, lifting his shoulders.

Lintu: Hair standing hilariously on end. Intense smirks, winks, grins, glares, and nods. Limbs flailing comically but always with the utmost drama and direction. Is that good all the time? Time will tell, but it sure is a hell of a lot of fun.



Finland Finland Finland..
the country where I want to be
your mountains so lofty, your treetops so tall
Finland Finland Finland,
Finland has it all

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Rita,
This was one of the concerts I had picked to see this year. Although, this wasn’t the concert I picked. But you explained that in the “oops deked ya” paragraph so I won’t go over it again.

I have to say; I am glad you mentioned your colleague’s thoughts on Hannu Lintu’s stick beating. It was during the second half that I noticed a totally lack of any kind of metric pattern to Mr. Lintu’s conducting. I actually thought to myself, “How can they follow this guy.” So, hearing your colleague’s view made me feel like I’m not a total musical numskull.

Your thoughts on watching the general kinetics of his motion made me realize that was the key to how the orchestra played so precisely and beautifully under his direction. You see; from my viewpoint all I could see was limbs flailing comically with utmost drama and direction. It was the intense smirks, winks, grins, glares and nods you were privy to that made the difference.

I figure the reason it took me until the second half to notice the conductor was because in the first half I was totally enchanted with Helene Grimaud’s performance – maybe even with Ms. Grimaud herself I have to say. What a superb performance she gives. The thing I don’t understand is that after she played, a lot of the audience left… at least in the “nose bleed” section where I was. Sometimes I wonder about Houstonians and there understanding of true world class music.

There is one group that never fails to take my breath away and it’s the Houston Symphony Orchestra… or any group made up of HSO musicians – like the Greenbriar Consortium. I just want you to know; that is exactly what the HSO’s performance of Stravinsky’s A Fairy’s Kiss and Ravel’s La Valse did last Friday night. Two works that are a true musical thrill rides for the listener and your orchestra gave us our full money’s worth.

I guess I should say “our” orchestra shouldn’t I. You might be a member but I am a Houstonian and it is called The Houston Symphony Orchestra. The way I see it; we our working at this endeavor together - form both sides of the conductor as it were; you in front of the conductor performing the music and me in the back of the conductor appreciating and supporting your efforts. A fine collaboration I do say.

Sorry for taking up so much of you time with my rambling thoughts - but your blogs do that to me.

I will see you again on April 2nd which is the next concert of the subscription series I signed up for. But you won’t be able to see me because I will be manning the crow’s nest of the musical sailing vessel we call Jones Hall.

Until then Mattie,
Jim

Rita said...

Jim, thanks again for your insightful and supportive comments...the Houston Symphony IS the orchestra for the people of Houston!! Full sails ahead!

John said...

Well, I know I spam your blog a lot but I might as well do it again. Just wanted to say, that was a great concert. I am not usually a fan of Stravinsky but I actually liked it this time. I can't say I've ever heard a louder orchestra than that Ravel!

And of course the Brahms was amazing. First time I've heard it live-- I could hardly breathe the last few minutes.

One LITTLE criticism though. I was sitting near the front, and to me, it looked like the first violinists were nearly falling asleep sometimes. Ok maybe I'm stupid, but it seems like, if you're playing a heartbreaking Brahms melody, your body language shouldn't say "Just another day at the office...."

My apologies if I'm out of place here! Just a thought!

Rita said...

John, thanks for your comments; audience feedback is very important to us! I will pass your comments along to the section in question. Also, thanks for introducing yourself afterward, nice to meet you, and always good to put a face with the profile!

John said...

Hi Rita,

Yes it was good to meet you too. It'll be easier to pick you out at future performances!

This is totally random I know, but what is the name of the cellist that parks his Harlie outside Jones Hall? Is he an accepted member of the clan of Harlie enthusiasts? I would guess that many Harlie riders couldn't care less about a symphony. Somehow his Harlie seems to be fit right in for a HOUSTON symphony musician!!

Jim said...

Hi John,

First of all, thanks for your interest in my bike. I chose black and white for two reasons: 1) it matches my tuxedo and 2) people frequently mistake it for a police bike, which means that they notice me. This is a good thing since in most M/C accidents, the cage driver simply failed to see the motorcyclist.

Second, there is no "Harley Clan." People from all walks of life, professions and income levels love to ride Harleys. All are welcome and I myself am not affiliated with any motorcycle gang in the traditional sense with colors and all that.

The guys and girls I ride with today DO share a common bond though (which anonymity prevents me from going into) and we frequently organize group rides to raise money for a good cause.

Finally, "wind therapy" is a whole lot of fun!

Jim Denton

Anonymous said...

Hi Jim & John… and you too Rita.
Sorry Rita, I hope you don’t mind me jumping in here on the M/C conversation; but I too once had a motorcycle... of the Honda heritage though. That being as it may; I just loved it. I and my best friend owned it jointly. When my trombone was stolen I traded my share of the motorcycle in for an extra trombone he had – a vintage Conn 6H if anyone is interested in the particulars. I still have the trombone, but, unfortunately, the Honda 650 came to the end of its life cycle. Mainly because he thought moto-crossing with a street bike was a good idea. I have to say; I still find joy in mentioning that to my best friend every chance I get.

Jim, I too have noticed and admired your Harley parked outside the stage door of Jones Hall. That will definitely be my next choice of freedom on two wheels when I come to that stage in my life again. Although, I might chose something in a green. Loud exhaust pipe with be my attention getter - trombonist generally do like “loud” you know.

Here’s to the wind in your hair and bugs on your teeth - although, helmets are probably a better idea.

The other Jim; from the first comment.

P.S.
Rita, I bet when you started this blog you never thought it would ever include motorcycles did you - but then; an all encompassing view of worldly topic is the sign of a good blog. At least that’s how “the other Jim” sees it.